Regina - Fairbanks, Alaska

The Best Things in Life Aren’t Free…….They’re Priceless!!

Have you ever thought about how your life would be if it were perfect? Well, I know I have, many times, until now. I’ve lived in Alaska my whole life and I absolutely love the summers here, but loathe the winters. The last few winters I often felt depressed and always complaining about living in Alaska. I used to think that my life would be pretty much perfect if I lived in California or just somewhere warm with sunny, blue skies and near a beach of course. I have tropical beach posters plastering the walls of my room. I would often find myself gazing at them and daydreaming of someday living in a tropical paradise. Then I’d look outside into what seemed a barren wasteland: white snow covering every inch of the ground, scraggly, brown trees, and the sky a whitish-grey.

All this changed a few months ago when I found out that my family and I are moving at the end of the summer to the Caribbean. So, my dream came true, right? I’m moving to a tropical paradise; an island with some of the best diving spots and beaches in the world, and endless days of sunny, blue skies and lush, green palm trees everywhere. I don’t know. I guess I won’t know until I go there. Living in Alaska doesn’t seem so bad all of a sudden, in fact, sometimes I kind of wish we weren’t moving at all. Now, I find myself sad about leaving the people I’ve known and loved my whole life.

I believe that it’s the people that are in your life, that make your life. They are what truly make you happy. It’s not where you are but who you’re with. Sure, it’d be great to be at the beach during a beautiful sunset, but it’d be so much better if someone you loved was there with you. When you find something great you want to share it’s greatness with others. That’s just the way it is. The truth is, it really doesn’t matter where you are. My best friend, Mary, and I will just be sitting in my room talking, or walking through Fred Meyers, sipping our Starbuck’s Frappicinos, and when I stop and think about it, I couldn’t imagine anywhere else I’d rather be than with her.

I believe it’s when you’re with the people you truly love, that’s when you’re truly happy.