Saryn - Fairbanks, Alaska

Only you can rock your own world

Only you can rock your own world – this is what I believe. What does this mean to me? It means, simply, that there is only one person who has the power and ability to make your life a good one. Sound a bit fatalistic? That one person is you, or in this case me. This, I believe.

Its not your friends who determine the course of your life. That person is you. That person is not your friend Bobby, not your Aunt Helen, not your neighbor Jim Bob, or anyone else that you might think of. You are the main person in your life. Only you can rock your own world.

I used to be one of those people – just lead me in the right direction and I would go willingly. After all, I wasn’t the one driving the bus, metaphorically speaking. I was just a passenger, way in the back. I was very dependent on other people. Whether it was to make me laugh, always having people around me just to be there no matter what I was doing, to entertain me, the list goes on and on. I always wanted other people to make my life good, never wanting to do it on my own.. I never thought I could do it myself. This, I believed.

But one day, that all got thrown in my face – that day changed my life. All of my so-called friends had turned on me, becoming people that I didn’t even know any more. My life was miserable. There was no direction, because there was no one to give it to me. I was wallowing in self pity, but all of that changed on the day that I dragged out my bass guitar, started playing, and had an epiphany. Only you can rock your own world. This, I believe.

That was in May of 2005, and ever since then I have lived by that quote, but more as a philosophy, and my life has been so much better than how it used to be. I have great friends, a good boyfriend, and my family. They are very much a part of my life, but this time around I’m not dependent on them to make my life great.

Yes, they do make me laugh and it’s great that they always want to be with me, but I don’t need them like I used to. I want them, but I don’t need them to be my own person. Just having them apart of my life is great. Now it’s just me doing things for myself and making my life the way I want it. Who rocks your own world? There is a very simple truth I live by everyday: Only you can rock your own world. This, I believe.