Kelli - San Antonio, Texas

In my life there have been very few things that have shaped or changed how I believe about certain issues. The one that has impacted me the most was not too long ago. I now believe that everyone has the right to make their own decisions on how they live their lives and this is why.

I was in church one Sunday afternoon when the sermon turned to a little political talk instead of something helpful that would stay with us for the week. It was around the time that the whole Gay marriage and abortion bills were hot topics and my priest felt it was his obligation to persuade us or even impose his personal feelings about the issues on us and tell us a little bit of what we as Catholics should be doing to help combat this matter. As he continued all I could do was think about what I was doing here at this service, or wait am I at a rally for something else. What really got me steamed and alerted me even more to the things that were really going on was the fact that he was urging us to sign these two petitions after mass that we as a congregation would be sending off to our state senators to then take to Washington as aid in the matter. I immediately got flustered and wanted to leave, but decided that no I was going to stay for mass, because that is what I had come for and that I would just walk out and not even go near the tables after church. This was not going to happen though, when I got to the back of the church after mass, one of the ladies at the table noticed me and called me out. She immediately called me over and asked me if I was planning on signing the petitions. I firmly told her no because I believed in pro choice as well as gay marriage. If someone wants to live there life with the same sex, then goes for it, I have nothing bad to say to them and what makes them happy. The same goes for pro choice. This should not be something that we are forced to believe or make others believe. And couldn’t believe what they were trying to do.

This turned me off to the Catholic faith and I began to question what religion I wanted to be involved in and or what my thoughts on certain topics were going to be. Did I want to continue with my Catholic faith, the only religion I have ever known or did I want to venture out and see what other options I had. This was time for some major soul searching and I needed all the help I could get. One thing was sure was that I was not going to let anyone chose for me.