Chelsea - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

There are 1440 minutes in one day, one day at a time is all we have. In our everyday lives we take so much for granted, running in a hamster wheel that never ends. There is always places to go and people to see with not enough hours in the day. Leaving us with 1440 minutes to live life on life’s terms. To make choices we must live with. I didn’t want choose to live with or without drugs, I would pray for death. I was finally tired of being sick and sick of being tried, willing to give up the high cost of low living. One day at a time I believe in second chances for a new way of life.

I had to hurt bad enough that I would do anything to stay sober. I had to want it and be willing. Someone told me that I didn’t have to live the way I was, that there was hope. There was a way to live my life and be serene at the same time. After years of poisoning my body, mind and filling my spirit with mind altering chemicals I was able to be comfortable in my own skin. Doing drugs was all I knew I was good at. Being homeless, dirty and hungry didn’t make me want to stop. I wanted to live, I was tired of hurting. A second chance to live my life the right way.

Instead of wasting my life trying to escape constant reoccurring feelings, I spend a short period of time in a smoke filled room listening to how other people manage to stay clean and sober for 1440 minutes a day. The secret is to pray, go to meetings and clean house. By cleaning house I mean taking my inventory and being responsible for cleaning my side of the street. Simply following a few simple suggestions and becoming willing to give what was freely given to me.

Ask yourself would you rather die a alcoholic death or live a spiritual way of life? By living this program it’s like I have been given the keys to the kingdom. I have been given a second chance. This new way of life has given me so many opportunities and dreams that I thought would never come true. I have friends who are there for me at the drop of a phone call. I have gone back to school and I remember what I did the night before. I no longer live paycheck to paycheck or on people couches, some days I can’t stop smiling. This why I am forced to believe in second chances for a new way of life.