Marci - Temecula, California
Themes: children, family, hope

I believe that a child is a precious piece of clay that is moldable, but enduring and strong.

I grew up in a violent home and was placed in the foster care system at the age of seven. My foster family was patient, kind, stern but always loving. I had support from my teachers and school administrators and was never allowed to feel sorry for myself or my situation. I was moldable.

My strength came from knowing I would always be alone with no biological family as support but I could count on support from friends, neighbors, churches and community if I chose wisely and with my heart.

I believe I have endured the past firty-four years with grace and respect because of those people who never let me believe I was less than the best I could be. I believe I owe their spirits the honor of continuing to nurture my children and grandchildren and all the other children that are in the foster care system that don’t have the belief that they are valued even though those who gave them life could not sustain support. I believe in forgiving them and blessing those whose encouragement could not replace a DNA but put in place a hope for a future of possibilities.