Bethany - San Antonio, Tennessee

Money or Happiness?

Everyone thinks that money is what makes the world go ‘round. Money may buy you things that you may want, but can it buy you happiness? I believe that money cannot buy you happiness because there are far more important things in life, like family for example. I believe that Christmas, people we love, and the media are all ways we think that money makes us happy.

At Christmas everyone buys each other gifts and spends hundreds to thousands of dollars every year. Is all of that necessary when Christmas is supposed to be a time for friends and family? It’s not about who gets the most gifts or how much they cost but about sharing stories and family traditions. The day after you will probably end up returning your gift, use it twice or just getting rid of it. Gifts may make you happy for that point in time, but not for the rest of your life.

Our families or spouses are another approach we take to spend more money. We, as parents, think that we have to buy our kids whatever they want to make them happy. There are kids whose parents are never there, and would love it if they came home just to say I love you. Money cannot buy those kids an, “I love you” from their own parents. Most kids would rather have their parents home than a Nintendo game to make them happy. Then there are kids who are just spoiled and mad if they don’t get what they want. Some parents think that buying them things justifies their inability to be with them.

Next, the media is just one more way to influence people into spending more money. They are always advertising things on TV and the radio for teenagers trying to get them to buy their product saying it makes them cool or popular. The only thing they are doing is taking your money and satisfying them at that time. Kids should be more worried about saving money for their education. Parents as well thinking that their house has to look the best, or their home theatre system has to be the greatest one. Does it matter if you can hear your movies louder than your neighbor?

Happiness does not come through spending money, but through our families and what we do with them, or how we spend our times together. Christmas, family, and the media shouldn’t have any effect on what makes us happy. Money will always be in the world, but will your family always be there to make you happy?