Virginia - Bulverde, Texas

I Believe In a Second Chance At life

As I was growing up from a child to becoming a teenager, I had everything handed to me. We didn’t have a lot of money, but I was the youngest and most spoiled of the bunch. I took life for granted everyday. The thought of me not getting what I wanted, was never there. My mother was, and still is my whole life. Without her as a child, I just couldn’t bare to think about. From 3 yrs. old to fifteen, my mother was all I had and depended on her a great deal. So when I got the news of her being in the hospital all I could think of was “It’s not so bad mom never gets sick”. Well this was one day I’ll never forget. From this experience my life changed and I didn’t take life for granted anymore. From it this I believe in second chances at life.

As I was sitting in my 9th grade 5th period English class, I looked out the door to see my brother standing and talking to my teacher. As I gathered up my things I knew something wasn’t right. When I left class my brother was explaining to me that mom was in the hospital. Now my mother (The worst she’s ever had was a cold) never got sick. We both had no idea why she was there. All we knew was during her day at work as a school teacher the ambulance came and got her. When my brother and I got to the hospital, all of her friends were there. We didn’t just go to any floor of the hospital, but the intensive care unit at that. That was when I knew something serious was going on. One of my moms’ friends took me to the side and tried to explain that my mom had a brain aneurism. I had no idea what that was. They explained to me that a blood clot formed in her brain then it burst which filled up with blood. At this point I was really scared, but I still thought my mom was going to be sitting up in her bed waving at me.

I wasn’t able to see my mother for about a day and half. The doctors performed surgery on her brain. They put tiny little clamps on the clots and were able to control the bleeding. They let us know that she had a 20% chance of pulling through the surgery. As hours were slowly going by, the doctor finally came and let us know that the procedure went well, but still the recovery was extremely important. If something moved the wrong way she may not make it through. Finally it was time to see my mom after her operation. As I approached the room I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I saw her laying there in her bed, I just started crying. Her head was bandaged and under, her hair was completely gone. She didn’t know who I was and I’ve never seen her like that before. It wasn’t my mom to me at all.

After 2 weeks in the hospital, my mother had a full recovery from her brain aneurism. She didn’t have hair, but she was well, and that was all that mattered. Knowing my mom was going to have a second chance at life made me realize that no one should ever take life for granted. You just never know what the next minute, hour or day will bring you until it actually happens. My mother at this time is alive and well living a sweet life of retirement in Portland, Tx. hair and all. It has been 16 yrs. since she came near to death, and I thank God for my mom every day. For this circumstance, I to this day believe in second chances.