Avantika - Princeton, New Jersey
Themes: death

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Yes, I know that sounds cliché, but this belief is my principle, my theory, and the way I live my life. Your life is filled with events that call for celebration, or put you in depression. Sometimes you may wonder why these things happen to you, and try to analyze them. At times the reason comes to you in the blink of an eye, sometimes it doesn’t. For me, it wasn’t easy.

When I was six years old I experienced one of the hardest things in my life. My first baby cousin was born with a rare disorder. The likelihood that she would live wasn’t very high. My mother explained that my cousin was sick and she would have to be there for my aunt and uncle. My first reaction was “Why can’t I come?” Obviously, my mother didn’t want me to see the baby in that condition, so all she said was “You can see her during your vacation”. When my mom returned, she told me that my cousin was better, and I was relieved.

Two moths later, we received a phone call at six A.M. Suddenly we heard my mother crying. My sister told me to wait in my room as she walked outside to my mom. Minutes later, they walked into my room with red teary eyes. My mother knelt down beside me, and in between her sobs, explained that my cousin had passed away. At the age of six this concept wasn’t easy to grasp. My first cousin who I had been longing to see was no more. I would never get to see her–never. I had no clue how to express my feelings, or what questions to ask. I felt like a T.V. put on mute. I was angry– my anger turned into my barricade; my only hope of emotion. The only thing I wanted to know was why? Why did my cousin die?

As I look back on that shattering day, I realize that I have been searching for a reason ever since. Although I may have found it, I still find myself asking “why”? Why was my cousin, whose journey of life had barely begun, taken away so suddenly? Why are photographs my only memory of her? Why didn’t I ever get a chance to hold her soft baby hands, or tuck her teddy bear beside her? I don’t think I will ever stop asking why, but today I believe that the reason for her passing was to end her suffering, and the suffering of those who love her.

We could spend an eternity searching for a reason, and yet never find one to satisfy us. You will only find a reason if you are determined to believe. Believe that everything that happens was planned to happen, meant to happen, destined to happen–and happens for a reason. So the next time something big happens in your life, take a minute to absorb it, and believe that it was supposed to happen– believe that there is a reason.