Ashli - Westfield, Indiana
Themes: parenthood

I believe in maternal bonds. My mom is my best friend. She and I have truly kindred spirits. Our maternal bond stemmed from my mom’s maternal bond with her mother.

My mom grew up as an American missionary’s kid in West Africa. Her parents’ love for people is enormous, especially her mom’s. My grandma was a missionary’s wife and a third grade school teacher. Grandma’s love for her own children, though, was her greatest treasure. Grandma’s treasure blossomed into a maternal bond she shares with her daughter, my mom.

As a missionary’s kid, my mom moved a lot as a child and young adult. I wasn’t a missionary’s kid, but my family moved a lot, too. The bond I had with my mom sustained me throughout all of our moves. My mom was my constant friend and caregiver; I never felt alone.

I know the little things she loves, the things I love, too, like finding cute cards to send one another, sipping coffee and sharing a scone, perusing new titles at a bookstore, collecting elephant figurines, and searching for seashells on sandy beaches.

My mom makes every get-together and celebration incredibly special for me. I remember a pink elephant cake she made—a cake with tiny elephant figures made of marshmallows—for my fifth birthday.

My wedding ceremony perfectly suited me thanks to my mom’s touch. Knowing the colors, tastes, and sounds of what I like, my mom designed a lovely atmosphere and time of celebration in the church where I was married, the same church she got married.

So many times the phone will ring, and I know it is my mom calling, because the thought of calling her had been on my mind. I know when she is sad, which isn’t often. I know when she is encouraged and optimistic, which is all of the time. She knows what words to share with me at just the right time—words of wisdom, hope, and faith.

I would do anything for my mom. Our maternal bond is unbreakable. My greatest hope is to share a maternal bond with my future daughter.