Laquoia - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: setbacks

I believe in making mistakes

I chose to write his essay on mistakes after looking over my life and the lives of close friends and family. I looked around at them and was remembering all the crazy things I did when I was younger. As I thought about all of the mistakes I made I realized they weren’t really mistakes at all. They were more like the yellow brick road to where I was supposed to be. All the changes that happened and the people I have met, now they seem to be guides that helped me find myself and my place. So I believe that making what some may call mistakes is actually a good thing.

When I was 16 I got married and dropped out of high school. I did get my GED however not a diploma like my mother wanted. I never even thought of going to college. All I wanted to do was be with my new husband. I was young and though I knew what I was doing. I now know the value of an education and I know that I would have still came to the same realization on that down the line. However, I think the experience of low paying jobs and struggling from pay check to pay check made me get a true grasp of why education is so important. The mistake I thought I had made of not going back to school right away may not have been a mistake at all. I wonder if I had would I feel so strongly about education; I don’t think I would.

After I left my husband I was terrified and embarrassed. I was ashamed in a way because I felt I wasn’t strong enough to stay. I often wondered if I made a mistake. The truth was I still loved him, but I felt I needed more. After I left him I shut everyone else that was important to me out of my life including my family. It took me a year to fully be comfortable with my self and realize how horrible I had been acting. When I moved back home with my family I felt alive again. However, every time I would think about how terrible it was for me to shut everyone out I would get depressed again. Until I realized, they forgave me and now we are closer than we ever were before. We talk almost everyday and we spend almost every other weekend together. I didn’t handle everything the right way, however I don’t regret any of it. I know realize the value of family and I would never let anything come between us again. That mistake in my life taught me a value that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Changes in our life help give us character. The pain and losses show us how strong we really are because of how we get through it. However, I wonder how did we get to the pain and losses? What led us there? Was it something we did or something we could have changed? When thinking about those questions it made me look at my life and be grateful for all the mistakes I made. I am now who I want to be because of all the wrong turns I took in life. I don’t regret anything that I have done because I am who I am because of what I have done.