Thaddeus - El Paso, Texas

This I Believe – Reality Is a Mindset in America

In my life I’ve picked up a few things I hold to be true. But one of the main things I’ve learned is that in America, reality doesn’t exist. The high standard of living in America disallows discomfort including: pain, waiting, and even geographic distance.

For the majority of Americans, you don’t have to worry about pain. There is pain when you crash the car and you go home to face your parents, or you get dumped, etc. But there isn’t pain like in 3rd world countries. You don’t wake up in America and wonder if you’re going to eat today. Even the poor and unemployed in America get meals through welfare. Anything short of death is a minor discomfort in America. With the availability of over-the-counter drugs such as Advil, Tylenol, and Aspirin, we don’t even have to deal with pain caused by natural biological factors. Even anti-depressants such as Prozac can be prescribed to relieve feelings of depression. But American doctors give anti-depressants out like lollypops after shots. If a teenage girl is found to be having sex she is prescribed an anti-depressant.

As well, Americans get what they want when they want it. We can put everything off till tomorrow as much as we want and never run out of tomorrow. I have no problem with this. In a mere 17 years of life, I have learned to live life as if every day isn’t your last. If there will always be a tomorrow, there will always be a chance to: solve any mystery, overcome any obstacle, and fix any wrong. “Time heals all wounds,” A familiar saying to all, lets us know that as long as there is time everything will be alright. With unlimited time, you need not worry about anything. I’ve never been afraid of consequences. Not because I’m that big of a man but because no matter what they are they eventually go away. Not to say consequences have no effect on my behavior; I like to avoid discomfort as much as the next American.

Thanks to the invention of Henry Ford’s assembly line in the early 1900s 95% of households in America own at least one car. Automobiles allow people to travel large distances not only easily, but also in comfort and style. Cars reinforce the fact that Americans wait for nothing. If you want a burger, you: jump in your car, go to a fast food place, and pull through a drive-thru. You don’t have to: walk, get out of your car, nor even wait for the food to be made.

Don’t get me wrong here; I love to live in America with our high standard of living. And as long as I live here, I will remember that no matter how bad things seem or how bad things seem they are about to get everything will be fine in the end, because tomorrow I’ll try again.