Stacy - Carmel, California

This is what I believe. I believe that not everyone knows what it is like to touch the Divine through another person. Some people close themselves off from it, not even realizing the extraordinary miracle they are missing. Some people die young and so do not have the chance to experience it. Some people never find a person to explore it with, going through life feeling empty or even content, but never knowing.

And then there are those who instead of giving it, take that gift away from others. Perhaps they do not know what they take when they steal the one thing that can only be given with the most open of arms, the most open of hearts. They take it so carelessly, as if it were so every day, like slipping on a pair of shoes.

And what happens to those stripped of every soft and light thing, those now unable to locate any safe haven or get a compass bearing on self? We wander. So many never stop moving, walking, wandering, searching… and the promise disappears from view.

I did a wonderful job staying lost for many years. There are a thousand ways to stay gone, be a vapor on the wind, so many ways to strangle the best pieces of yourself.

I can’t tell you how I was able to escape, and I know it wasn’t just one thing. I know I have strong, patient people in my life who love all of me – the soul inside this damaged and betrayed body, and I am lucky for them, blessed. I know that I have always had art in my life, in all of its splendid forms, and these were a lifeline. When I felt unable to speak, I could speak through art, embrace the source of what was lost through the words, the brushstrokes, hammer and nails, notes and rhythms, images…

And today, I am able to accept such a powerful and life-giving gift, creation. This is how we thank the universe for being alive, this soul celebration where we take everything we are, everything we were and all of who we will be and pour it into this mixture of us. And I see the face of God and it is more beautiful than I had imagined or thought I could contain.

I know that not everyone is so fortunate. Not everyone can make it through to the other side, not everyone allows the possibility, not everyone can open themselves enough to feel The Mystery and, surely, not everyone meets a person willing to make that leap together.

I have touched the face of the Divine in another person. I believe this is why we are alive. And I believe if more people experienced the same, then individuals might make different choices. In turn, the choices made by governments and corporations might be very different indeed. How can you make choices that are harmful to others with the Breath of God on your lips?