Erin - Blountville, Tennessee
Themes: love

Growing up in a religious home, I was taught the ways of righteous living according to the Bible and I basically believed and followed everything I was told. As I went through high school, I was always fascinated with all of my friends’ beliefs. I reached out to understand those friends of mine who were Mormons, Baptists, Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah Witnesses, Atheists, and more. I went off to college with my beliefs still strong inside of me, but curious about life. While taking a theatre class, my professor told me something that has stuck in my heart. He said, “In high school, you are told there is one solution and you must find it. But in college, you become aware that there is more than one answer and that’s okay. You are encouraged to explore them all.” He had completely smacked me in the face with such raw truth. We all had been so sure that we had the ONE answer, but in actuality, we all had the answers we needed at the time and added to a bigger answer.

I have been searching for the answers for only a small part of my life, but I have discovered one answer that withstands the test of time no matter what religion, age, sex, or race we are. I believe that love is that answer. Why did I still manage to be friends with all these people despite completely opposite views and beliefs? The fact is that I had love for them as my brothers and sisters. I respected their right to be different whether I agreed with their beliefs or not. I accepted them as humans and could understand that they were simply searching for the answers too. I have experienced several types of love too. I have Godly love in my life and happiness in my religious beliefs. I have a parental love from my father and mother. I have a family love from my brother, sister, and extended family. I have a spousal love with my fiancé. I have a friendly love for my friends, acquaintances, mentors, teachers, co-workers, and my peers. And I have a brotherly love for strangers, my country, and the world. Some people are actually in more than one category and encompass all the types of loves I need in my heart and life. They give me the strength and the hope I need everyday. I believe we could mold the world with love. I believe we could save the poor with love. I believe that we could ultimately achieve world peace with love. I just know that it must start me. I am trying to be part of the solution I have wanted to see in the world. No matter what answers there are left to discover, I will always believe in love as the answer and it believes in me.