Kelly - San Antonio, Texas

I believe I need to find my happy place again.

When I was in Kindergarten, my happy place was building cities of sand in my giant sandbox. I built rows of houses along an empty trench and when I was finished, I would use the hose to create a flowing river. Soon enough the river would flood and dissolve my tiny buildings. “Happy” was knowing I could build another the next day.

When I was in third grade, my happy place was playing with my teddy bear, Chrissy. Since I moved from another city that year, finding a good friend was a little hard. Plus young girls are just mean! So while I struggled to find someone my age to play with, “happy was knowing that Chrissy would be there all week.

When I was in eighth grade, my happy place was in front of my great-grandma’s player piano. At the beginning of every month, my mom bought me a new book of songs to learn, and for four weeks I would work away at the chipped ivory keys. “Happy” was knowing I would learn them all by the end of the month.

When I was in eleventh grade, my happy place was with my group of friends during our lunch break at school. Through sandwiches and chips, we would talk about hard teachers, college applications, and plans for the weekend. “Happy was knowing we still had another year to go to lunch together.

Now, here I am in my first year of college, and I’m having trouble finding “happy”. I’m too old for sandboxes and teddy bears, I don’t have time for learning new songs on the piano, and all of my close friends are going to college in different parts of the state.

So where is my happy place now?

Maybe I need to find one that will satisfy me longer than a day, a week, a month, or a year. Maybe it will find me, but I do believe that I need to find my happy place again.