Michaela - North Falmouth, Massachusetts

I believe in messy bathrooms. I believe that when I walk into the aquatic themed bathroom that I share with my two older siblings, there should be no cover on the toothpaste, towels should hang messily on the rack, and dirty laundry should be hanging out of the bin. I believe that my sister should never leave any hot water after her shower, and that my brother should never clean up after he shaves. I believe in this zoo of a bathroom, because I believe in family.

After living with a person for many years you begin to develop an understanding of them that you would otherwise never have. As in the case of living with my siblings for eighteen years, there is no exception. After many years of fighting with my sister over the conditioner, and with my brother about taking too long looking at himself in the mirror, I couldn’t wait until the day when they went to college. I dreamt of the day, when I could take hour long warm showers, and could freely straighten my hair without anyone yelling at me. However, when that day finally came, my feelings about our overcrowded messy bathroom began to change.

In the days after their departure, there was never a thing out of place. I always had a warm shower, and plenty of shampoo and conditioner. The towels were always matching and hanging neatly on the rack. In this squeaky clean bathroom I never felt more alone.

Living in such close quarters with Colleen and Bobby for so long made me feel apart of something, close to them, an most importantly unconditionally loved. My brother’s dirty sock lying on the floor, and my sisters glasses and saline solution on the sink reminded me that I was not alone. I knew that I could expose all my negative habits in that bathroom, and that they could in turn expose theirs, and none of us would be alarmed. My siblings are some of the few people in this world who truly love and understand me unconditionally; bad habits and all, through the good and the bad. This love is the love that only a family can have and create. Every time I walk into his teal colored fish print wallpapered bathroom, I am reminded of my family, and the love we have for one another. Therefore, I believe in messy bathrooms.