Margot - Glencoe, Illinois
Themes: environment

I believe that people around the world need to work together to help stop global warming.

A couple of years ago I had a teacher who told my class about global warming. I was in fourth grade and my teacher pulled down a map showing how states would flood from global warming as water rose. If that happened, we wouldn’t have a place to live. That’s when I got involved. Yes, there is more I have to do. But I believe that if we work together to reduce pollution then global warming will do far less damage.

After that I wrote a letter to President George W. Bush. He wrote me back months later but not about my topic. His response was a form letter saying I can help my community by visiting their web site…. But why would I be writing him a letter if I weren’t already involved? I felt he didn’t listen to my concerns because I was just 10 years old. We can only make a difference in the world if we listen to everyone.

What upsets me is that the beautiful glaciers in Antarctica are melting and the polar bears are drowning. By the summer of 2050, polar bears will be extinct and the glaciers will be melted if we don’t make changes. In addition, in only about 25 years deaths from global warming will double to 300,000 people. I will hopefully be alive then and I do not want to see this occur. I bet none of us want this to happen to our children or our grandchildren. I believe we are selfish if we do not do something about this problem.

If we change our light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs, it will save energy and money. I have fluorescent bulbs all over my house, which makes my house brighter. They last longer and shine better. Also, by picking up garbage and throwing it away, we can help reduce pollution in the same way we can by recycling bottles, paper and plastic. Next time anyone throws away a bottle, paper, or plastic, think about how we are ruining our planet and innocent lives. What I think will help most of all is signing the Kyoto Treaty but our country hasn’t. If we interact with each other, we can make important changes.

Everyone has a right to state his or her opinions and ideas. But I don’t feel our President listened to mine. I know he is busy but everyone’s opinions should be taken into consideration. Even a five-year-old might have something to say if we listen. So what I am trying to say is that I believe we can all work together to help stop global warming because it is not going to stop itself. So, next time any of us does something that contributes negatively to global warming, we need to stop and think about what we are doing. I believe we can all help.