Lori - Keene, Texas

This I believe in: Public Schools!

I believe the public school system in America is great! I believe America is as great as it is, because of the public school system. I am a teacher at an inner city school in Fort Worth. We have a low socio-economic demographic, and our students come to school with a vast spectrum of needs. Some needs in clued: hunger, more nutritious foods, more of sleep (due to multiple people needing bed space), personal attention, healing from personal illnesses, family conflicts resolutions, they need to visit absent family members, different or clean clothes, love, a gentle caring touch, help with emotional trauma. As a public school teacher we take that children like these, and form them into assets for society. We help them believe that no matter what they have lived through, or living with, they can be anything they want to be.

Public School teachers achieve this by realizing that if one method of learning does not work, another will. SO we begin creating various types of leaning opportunities through games, flashcards, posters, charts, rhymes, and chants, stories and more. If that does not work we cut and paste and make things for the students to touch and move and manipulate. We take them to computer labs and help them learning and practice computer literacy at a young age. This is all helped by the nutritious meals provided for the students.

When we see all this working together and the learning process is set in motion , we reward the child with encouraging words, a pat on the back, healthy snacks, notes home, claps and cheers, displays in the hall, stickers, toys, and extra fun activities.

Public School teachers go far beyond teaching academic subjects: we listen (a lot), we take steps and measures to protect children, we wipe tears, and give high 5’s, we looks for places in the community to fill student or family needs, we spend our own money (a lot) to reward student effort, and thus making the student feel important, significant and successful.

America is as great as it is today, because public school teachers all over America are daily inspiring , motivating, supporting and encouraging each and every student in their class to be leaders in America, soldiers fighting for freedom, courteous waiter and cashiers, grocery baggers and concerned lawyers, sharp accountants and flamboyant movie stars, watchful police officers and gifted governors.

I ask, where would our peaceful, thriving, successful, productive, creative American society be today, if we did not have our public school system? Every wonderful thing that our American society is, is embodied in our public school teachers.

Is there room for improvement? Yes, by all means. But there is room for improvement in each person, company, organization, and government that form our American society. After all we are all human. But we are all moving ahead and working hard to make this country the best we can. Cheers to all public school teachers!!