Matthew - Bolingbrook, Illinois

Throughout my nineteen years and some odd days on this earth I have lived many different lifestyles, seen hundreds of people walk in and out of my life, and felt a million different indescribable feelings. I feel like I have lived it all. I have gone from being a student athlete who listens to nothing but gangster rap to a lazy pothead who blasts hard dance music every second of every day. However, one solid feeling has stuck with me throughout my stages of transformation. No matter what particular phase or trend I happen to be experiencing at a certain point in time, I always have this one hundred percent dedicated commitment to it as if it were life or death. This is completely true, at least until the next phase of my life hits and its back to square one again. I was once told that are three kinds of people on this earth. One, the pessimist, who says you can’t do that, no matter what the task may be. Two is the fence sitter, the type of person who jumps from one activity to the next and never really develops a true skill or keen interest in any subject. Third is the person who dives right in with both feet and grabs the bull by the horns. I would without a doubt place myself in the third category of people who realize they want something and take whatever means necessary to accomplish that particular goal.

From the beginning of my child hood I was always blessed with the ability to have above average skills in any particular activity I was interested in. I’m not putting myself on a high horse as an all around most valuable player, but I am saying that getting picked last was never in the cards for me. I simply excelled in my interests because of my undying devotion to them. With this being said, let me tell you my main squeeze. The one thing that makes my nerves really stand on end. MUSIC! I’m crazy about it, like the Bush administration is for terrorists. When I was sixteen I landed a job at the Best Buy down the street from my house, and one day I spontaneously decided to buy Acid pro 4.0.(a program that allows you to edit music and compose your own tracks). I went home, ripped open the package, and got down to it. Little to my surprise did I know that this program was the most confusing thing I had ever laid eyes on before. I packaged the box back up neatly and went back to the store to try and get my money back, but unfortunately success was not on my side. So, having no other choice than to use the program I did exactly that. In less than three months I was smiling in awe as I watched my friends’ heads nod to my tracks. At this time in life I was set on hip-hop, hip-hop all day long and nothing less, until that one day that changed my life and led me to my present dream.

Naturally since I was a hip-hop head I despised the club scene with a deadly passion, but by some miracle one day I let my good buddy Isaiah talk me in to taking a trip up to Energy, the local night club, for a change of pace. I played the sidelines most of the night and kept to myself for the most part, until I heard that song, that one gorgeous collection of melodies that made my nerves stand on end and my heart jump right out of my chest. I immediately fled full speed to the DJ booth to show my appreciation. I held out my hand and gave the DJ a pound as I said to him, “Man, you have no idea how sick this song is”. He smiled, looked at me and said, “Yea, it’s good, but check this out”. After uttering those words he did something impossible. He went from the most empowering song I had ever heard to something even better with no pause in between tracks. From that moment on . . . I WANTED TO BE A DJ!

You might be asking yourself what this has to do with what I believe in, so let me answer your question by saying this. I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF DREAMS. I believe that having one solid goal and pushing for it night and day can light up your life like the fourth of July. Ever since that day I have taken every step possible to become a great DJ and one day inspire someone just like me to find the same passion and have a dream. My progression has come along more quickly than I could ever imagine in my wildest dreams. I already have a handful of my own tracks to spin, a small fan base (which I love to death), and new opportunities opening up at every turn. That is how I know a dream is a powerful thing. This I believe.