Connor - Rothschild, Wisconsin
Themes: parenthood

I Believe

“Look both ways before you cross the street,” my dad always said when I went on a bike ride.

I’ve learned a lot of things from my father. I’ve thought of this quote by my dad a lot because he said it a lot. I believe that this means that I should look both ways before I cross the street, probably so I don’t get run over by a semi, duh! Really though, these words by my dad really speak to me. They tell me that you should think before you do things.

I have made a lot of decisions in my life and because I thought about them before I made them, most of them were good decisions. It’s like on a math test, you think about the answer before you make it, (common since, right?) It’s the same thing when you make decisions in life.

The other day I was at the movie with some of my friends. One of my friends told me to knock over one of the lampposts. It didn’t take much thinking, but I still thought about it. I told him that he was stupid, and I didn’t do it.

Out of all the decisions I made in my life, I would say about 80% of them were good and 20% of them were bad. That’s pretty good, don’t you think?

“Look both ways before you cross the street.” I have been telling that to my little brother ever since he was six. You know what’s cool, though? Ever since I started saying that to him, he has been making better decisions. Also he hasn’t gotten run over by a car yet, which is pretty good.

I’m only a thirteen-year-old boy, but I am already starting to think about college and the occupation I’m going to take up. I used to want to be a pro hockey player; don’t get me wrong, I would still love to be one. I think I need to be more realistic, though. I mean, what if I focused my life on being a hockey player and I wasn’t good enough to ‘go pro’? What would happen if I didn’t go to college, and i didn’t get a job? What would I do? Should I be a drug dealer? No thanks! That’s why you think ahead.

I have a smart dad. I want to be smart, too, and if I can’t make the right decisions, what will I do with my life? I don’t want to be a bum. This I believe.