Danielle - Weston, Wisconsin

This I Believe: Killing is Wrong

Picture a newborn deer with its big, soft, innocent, brown eyes. It bends over for a small drink in the pond. Suddenly KABOOM! A bullet whizzes past a tree and hits the fawn right between the eyes. All is lost.

I believe that killing is wrong whether it’s people, animals, or insects. I also believe that wars are wrong, too, because all you do is shoot the opponents’ heads off. You only want to fight them for land or territory, and you want to kill them before they kill you. If we didn’t have wars, then no one would want to kill the opposing side. Killing isn’t even right for the death penalty because what if you got the wrong person and they were innocent?

Killing animals is wrong, too, because all you’re doing is going out there and shooting innocent creatures. What have they ever done to you? I know the world would become overpopulated, but so what? That’s just like if giants roamed the Earth, and we were their food. They would come after us and even though we’re innocent, they wouldn’t care. Some people even think that hunting is fun. How sick is that, thinking that killing innocent animals is fun?! Some people also think that animals don’t have feelings but they do.

Killing insects is just as wrong. They are more scared of you than you are of them. Most insects don’t do any harm anyway. If it weren’t for spiders, then insects would rule the Earth. Spiders eat the insects and get rid of them.

I believe that all killing is sinful. A lot of people say, “Oh, it’s okay if you are defending your country.” Yeah, but who says we need to fight over countries? What we do need is to live in peace and harmony with no killing or any form of torture involved. We don’t all have to like each other, but being kind is enough. That’s probably the reason God put us on the Earth, so we can learn how to get along. We shouldn’t have to fight over territories, either. All of that leads to wars and then killing. We should all share like the Native Americans. Differences also matter to a lot of people, too. If we did all look and act the same, the world would be very boring, wouldn’t it? But some people think we all have to be the same. That is another cause of wars and killing. Why does it have to matter so much? I think that weapons should be illegal, so there wouldn’t be as much killing. We wouldn’t have to go to Iraq if it weren’t for weapons. The Columbine Shootings is another example. You shouldn’t kill just because you want to. Killing is not the answer and killing is wrong. Vicomte de Chateaubriand once said, “One does not learn to die by killing others.” This I believe.