Eric - Upper Saddle River, New Jersey

I Believe in Music

“Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!” –J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

I never really listened to music before April of 2005, when I was about twelve years old. I was talking to my friend online when she asked me if I liked the band Linkin Park. I had to admit that I wasn’t really a ‘listener’ as I called most people in the environment around me, which consisted mainly of the snobby rich people of Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, most of whom listen to only the most popular music; almost entirely rap at the time. It took some explaining, but once she understood what I meant, she decided to send me her favorite song, “Numb”.

After listening to it a few times and making sense of the lyrics, I decided that it was my favorite song. I looked into the band and learned that it had a huge underground following, and that they had written other songs similar to “Numb”. The idea of a whole album of such good songs was completely new to me. I immediately went to iTunes and bought all of their songs.

Linkin Park became my favorite artist, which led me into other artists and eventually other forms of music. I got into similar artists such as System of a Down and Green Day. Music soon became my life, and I listened to it whenever I could. I met people from around the world on the forums of all the different bands and singers. Music presented a whole new level of things to talk about, from what new albums were coming out to how good a new band was.

Now it’s almost two years later and Linkin Park is still overall my favorite band, with “Numb” my permanent favorite song. The girl whose same copy of “Numb” I still listen to now hates me. I have to thank her, though, for bringing me into the world of modern music. My iTunes library now has over 2500 songs in it, and I love all of them. Music– this I believe.