Nicholas - Miami, Florida

I believe there is no absolute. Humanity is born in darkness with no set rules; therefore truths can only be guessed upon and theorized. There is no such thing as certainty in the world and to correctly understand, one must be open to the idea that he knows nothing.

The reason for my belief is because I believe that it is impossible to prove anything 100%. We are beings whose whole existence is uncertain and have only been able to prosper by simple logic. The ability to reason and to understand these simple logics is what has made man the dominant being on the planet. But to see these logics as absolute truth is a big mistake.

How do you know you are alive? How do you know that you exist? The French philosopher Rene Descartes was able to come up with the statement “I think, therefore I am.” While this statement seems perfectly logical, it is only relative to the universe in which we are born in.

The concept I believe in must be thought of abstractly and with an open mind. To understand, one must be willing to temporarily forget about the material world and think about the universe as just one in an infinite number of possibilities. Just as there are different planets and galaxies, there could be different universes. And within the different universes the physics and logics that humanity has grown accustomed to do not have to apply. Therefore all that humanity knows is just relative to his own universe and planet, and that in turn means that in reality man’s knowledge is nothing.

Another reason for my belief in no absolute truth has to do with man’s senses. Senses are man’s only way to perceive the world around him. Because of this man cannot prove that his senses are reliable, they could even be being stimulated by an outside force. An example of this concept is portrayed in the movie The Matrix, in which humanity is being fooled by the manipulation of their senses. With that being said, I cannot say that my senses are true, all I can say is that they seem rational because they affect each other in a natural system of checks and balances.

Knowing that every bit of information I learn cannot be proven; I can say I live in a world of uncertainty. But even though I believe this, and even though my own existence is not absolute, I have no choice but to just live.