Deborah - York, Pennsylvania

I believe in God. I believe in the human spirit. I believe that we are all created equal. I believe in the good of mankind. I believe in practicing what you preach. I believe in embracing diversity. I believe in accepting oneself as a unique creation of God. I believe in forgiveness. I believe in the Platinum rule ‘treat others as they want to be treated”. I believe in peaceful resolutions. I believe in” putting your best foot forward”. I believe in” taking the time to smell the roses”. I believe that “you are only as good as the company you keep”. I believe in the love of family and friends. I believe in a healthy balance of work and play. I believe that “love conquers all”.

I feel very passionately about these beliefs as they were taught to me at a very young age by my father. My dad worked hard to support his family of six children. He has always had the support of a very loving wife. My father built a swing set for my older sister and I when we were young. I was so excited when it was finished. The other children in the neighborhood came over to see it. I can still remember to this day my dad telling us we needed to share and to let the others swing on the swing set that we had not used yet. That was an invaluable lesson to me and I can still remember the joy I felt when I saw the excitement of my friends swinging. I was so proud of my dad’s accomplishment.

My father inspired his children to be the best we could. He never went to college but I always felt like he was one of the smartest men I knew. He taught us that Faith in God would get us through. My father had an experience at his job when I was away at nursing school in which his colleague was dishonest. This cost him a promotion at his job. My father started to go to Mass on a daily basis. I later learned that my father was actually praying for the man who betrayed him. It was through this that I learned about forgiveness. I saw my father’s tears when his mother passed away and I also saw his tears of joy when I graduated from nursing school. He was never afraid to show emotions.

I remember Sunday rides and how we sometimes got lost. I was never afraid because I knew Daddy would find his way and we would get back home. Today I look to my heavenly Father to help me when I feel lost or discouraged. This gift of faith is the most important gift given to me my father. I am who I am today because of all the experiences I have had. I am most proud of my sons. I can only hope that I have been able to pass some of my beliefs on to them as my father did to me. I would not change a thing.