Kory - Tiffin, Ohio
Themes: death, family

The Final Goodbye

I believe that you should always show your emotions, know matter how tough you think you are. Like most men I grew up thinking that men don’t cry about anything and that we shouldn’t express our feelings. That was until my grandfather past away.

I heard the news and all I wanted to do was cry, but I was fourteen and believed that I shouldn’t cry about it. I wanted everyone to think that I was a man and not a little kid anymore. As the days went on my emotions for my grandpa began to grow stronger, but then again not one tear fell from my eyes.

As I walked into the funeral home doors tears began to form in my eyes. Walking around looking at the pictures of me and my grandpa brought a lot of memories back to my head. Hearing the minister talk about my grandpa was when all of my emotions of the last three days fled out. Many people were laughing at the stories that were being told because they were funny. I didn’t crack a smile the whole time. I just stared at the crisp folded flag of top of the coffin.

A tear began to fall for the first time in a long time. All the memories began to turn into reality all over again. All of the Christmases spent together and all of the war stories that I heard at least a hundred times. As I sat there quite as possible all I could think about was the memories we shared together and the moment at my grandma’s funeral where my grandpa sat in almost the same state as mind as me and a tear coming from his face. I began to feel a bit of relief because my grandpa believed that it was okay for a man to cry, because it shows how much you really care about someone. Now all I could think about is my mom sitting next to me saying “ All real men cry at some point.” The tears began to flow harder and as I picked up a Kleenex from the box, all I could think about is the final goodbye was over and my grandpa would be vary happy the way its turned out. All men cry at some point and this I believe.