David - Lincoln, Rhode Island

Henry Ford once said, “Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is success.” When you argue and fight you get nothing accomplished. Where if you put your differences aside and all work together you accomplish so much more.

In our shop class everyone hates each other and we and really don’t get along or talk at all with each other. We are all from different social groups and clicks making communication impossible. Some kids wear gothic and really didn’t like to talk to anyone. Other than the few other gothic kids and there are some Spanish kids in the class who think that they are better than everyone else. And then the other preppy kids don’t really like to talk to anyone and then there are just the average small little groups in there that wouldn’t talk with anyone else. We barely get any where with our projects in class because we don’t get along at all and it takes us ten times longer then it should if we all just got along.

Our latest project is to build Adirondack chairs. We each get to keep one and the rest will be sold for a scholarship fund. In order to complete project we have work together. When we first started all we did was goofed around and argued. Then we realized that all the other classes were passing us, their completed chairs began to pile up and we hadn’t gotten ONE done! Mr. Sivitil told us that our grade depended upon the completion of thirty chairs. I knew I wanted to finish a chair and take it home to impress my parents and show them that I actually work and can accomplish something that I’m proud of.

The day that we realized we had gotten nothing accomplished in weeks of work time. Mr. Sivitil took a work period and had us all sit down, and explained to us about how working together and getting along is needed in this class to pass for the year or else we all will be getting failing grades. The next day we made two whole chairs in one class period when you usually can only make one a day if that. We had a feeling of accomplishment after we had left that class that day. We were all talking about it as we passed in the hallways.

Once we got along and all put aside the groups we were all in we got so much more accomplished than we had in the first two or three weeks of class time. The chairs were not the only thing that we got from getting along. We made fifteen new friends that I probably would not have talked to at all if it wasn’t for that class. Every time I look at the chair in my room it reminds me of success and what you can get done if you just all worked together.