Megan - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: pleasure

This I believe . . .

The crisp white sign read, “Paradise Cove.” As we drove under it, through the overhanging trees, and onto the parking lot, I knew that this was very close to “paradise.” The Tahoe quickly flushed of its contents as my cousins ran toward the water. The adults stayed back to unload the towels, boogie boards, and sunscreen. We walked to the picnic table by the restaurant to “set up our base.” The thick sand grabed our shoes and slowed us down, but it really didn’t matter because there’s no hurry in Paradise.

Boy, that was the life. To sip Shirley Temples with my cousins and eat peanuts from the huge barrel in the restaurant. To enjoy a long conversation as we walk around the rocky tip of the cove, where the water splashes up. To race my cousins down the dock and then watch the fishermen bring up their catch. To simply sit on the beach and enjoy the sun, while I watch the swarm of children run from the growing wave.

It is these children that I truly envy, because they are free of any worry. Their only concern is whether they can out-run that white crested monster.

I believe in the importance of relaxation. Of rest. Of de-stressing. Sometimes when bogged down by chemistry homework to complete, essays to write, chapters to read, math problems to solve, speeches to edit, people to call, and colleges to research, I just need to take some time for myself. A “relaxing” day is a necessity on any AP students calendar.

Often times when I am stressed, I think back on that leisurely day at the beach. I secretly wonder what it would be like to live there, to live without worries. No homework. No college applications. Just a life of enjoyment. Then I realize that living a “life of enjoyment” is really a state of mind. Escaping my hectic life is not necessary. I only need to change the attitude with which I approach that hectic life.

It doesn’t always have to involve traveling to Paradise. I can be as simple as listening to my mp3 player while I swing outside. Feeling the breeze. Watching the sun set. Or reading a book.

Many cultures have frowned upon leisure claiming “idle hands make the devil’s plaything.” But my hands certainly aren’t idle, just in need of “a day of rest.”