Stephen - winston salem, North Carolina

This I believe

I believe in keeping my beliefs to myself, and not wearing my morals on my sleeve, so to speak. Outside of a simple observation that any philosophy worth its salt will pay its own way, I have no illusions that my beliefs are either worthy of wider application or of such unique construction as to make them any sort of a model for the mass of humanity. I suspect, but do not believe, that each and every one of the six billion of us on this tiny planet is sufficiently individual as to preclude any wider application of each one’s manner of living and general outlook. Many of us desire a common pattern of living, but the evident fragmentation of every religion discloses that unity of perception is an illusion.

I will risk the truism that circumstances alter cases, which although obviously true, is of little practical utility.

All religions and philosophies are obviously true, and equally obviously false, all at the same time. Any statement of any length will contain enough inherent contradictions to invalidate its wider application. This can be demonstrated by the vehemence with which interested parties, clerisies and lawgivers defend their own interpretations of human interactions.

If a religion was in fact demonstrably true, in any real sense, then its obvious utility would cause it to become the common world view of all mankind in a matter of a few years. The fact that none have done so is usually attributed to the innate perversity of mankind. But in fact, the diversity of homo sapiens is the strongest contributor to out survival, no matter how that condition disturbs those simplifiers, prophets, reformers and assorted fascists that dog our every discussion or reality.

If you want to describe reality, learn mathematics. It may only describe a geometric figure on a theoretical plane, but it will describe it with precision. More complex situations require constant improvisation. Such is the human condition; a life or death struggle in unclear conditions with insufficient data.

At least, I think so. But don’t take my word for it. I might be wrong.