Marcial - Miami, Florida

I believe money is the ultimate drive inside every person. I am 20 years old, hold a full-time job and go to school full-time as well, and I know that I am not the only person who does this, therefore I try to keep up with my peers who have the same priorities. Money can bring a huge smile to your face, but can also make you cry. People will waste so much time trying to get money. Most days, money is the reason you wake up early in the morning, work a little harder and study longer. My father began explaining the “power of a dollar” theme to me when I first stepped into puberty; I found out work can be exhausting when I had to mow the lawn and only earned ten dollars.

I currently work at Best Buy and have been with the company for the past six months. It is the best paying job I have ever held, yet after pay I have no money because bills have to be paid and going out on weekends is expensive. I can imagine moving out of my parents’ house, but I cannot imagine paying rent, light, and car on top of the other bills that attack me today. What drove me into attending college was the idea of getting an education in order to land a high-paying job, instead of earning eight to ten dollars an hour.

Money can provide safety like a huge house with a long driveway, and luxurious safe car. On the other hand, people with no money work harder, striving to provide for families. Women choose to sell and exhibit their bodies for money to pay the bills, men hold two and three jobs to provide their family with food and shelter, and I feel that when it comes to earning money, people will put themselves through extreme situations. Today, credit card bills drain my bank account and working harder seems like an endless road. I believe money has driven me to apply for the supervisor position at my job which requires more time and more responsibility, but I keep in mind that this job is temporary, until I get out of college and begin my career path.