Susan - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: community

I believe in many awe-inspiring things. I believe that one good deed can fulfill a person’s entire day. I believe that creating a world we want is everyone’s responsibility. I believe that people can make global impacts if they choose to. However, for “This I Believe,” my thoughts focus on the town where I live; the place where the rest of my beliefs take flight.

I grew up in Manhattan and never thought I could ever love a place more than there. The fast paced, creative center of the world was always home for me. In my residences in Maryland, Florida and southern Pennsylvania, I never thought I would ever be in my skin as much as I am in Manhattan. And then a funny thing happened.

About one year ago, my family and I moved to Mechanicsburg. The timing was remarkable as WITF produced “Our Town: Mechanicsburg,” and prior to airing, I experienced it first hand at the sneak preview event. At First Community Church of God, I saw what Mechanicsburg was about; what it meant to live there; how this little town viewed “community.”

Every day, I wake up and smile when I look around my home, my town. Neighbors wave; children climb the fence to come into our yard to play; the school’s crossing guard says hello to my daughter and I each morning; middle school kids laugh and wait for the bus on our front porch. During the recent snowstorms, neighbors came out with shovels and snow blowers and without asking, started shoveling out their homes and the homes of those around them. I drive to work in the morning with people who wave you to go first. I live in a community of where when we go into Eckel’s Pharmacy, Barb smiles and says hi and I can always find a friend at 3rd Thursdays.

Recently much to my dismay, my husband called the police when he locked himself out of my running car. I was mortified that he did not call a locksmith, but instead, Mechanicsburg’s finest. Why would they want anything to do with helping us unlock a car? However, after twenty minutes when the first officer could not jimmy the lock, he called for back up. There in our backyard stood my heroes unlocking our car with such gumption. We were thankful to them.

Voting in the fall was a community event and seeing the wrench drop on New Year’s Eve with Jeffrey from 2nd Floor Gallery – Mr. Mechanicsburg – dancing in the rain – brought my family memories we could only dream of.

I never thought I would experience it again. However, Mechanicsburg has become the place where my beliefs come together and fuse. I believe I found home.