Michelle - Columbus, Nebraska

I believe in the power of understanding. Understanding is what my family needed most when finding out the news of my younger sisters pregnancy. Understanding the reasons for this ‘mistake’ as most people of society call it, is something that my family is learning to get used to. We are planning our whole life around the baby that is coming into our family this late spring. We have supported every decision that my sister has made so far through out her pregnancy. We are also beginning to understand what it means to forgive someone for a bad decision.

Understanding what is going on in her life right now is helping me to become a better sister, and a better person. I understand, and believe, that my sisters pregnancy happened for certain reasons. The reason it happened for me, is to show me that I need to stop being stubborn and show the people I love most how I really do feel about them. My family understands that we need to put aside the bad names and reputations that may be coming from this ‘burden’ and seek out the real reason this happened. The real reason this happened is to teach my family that we need to get past the disappointments, get past the rumors and the stories, and find the good out of what is soon coming, a baby. It is teaching us that we must love another person so that they do not feel left out in this harsh world. It could also help to teach others that they should not judge others without really knowing who the person is and hearing the truth behind whatever they think.

I believe that my sisters pregnancy at the end of her high school life is teaching everyone that they are not perfect, and things can happen to you when you are least expecting it. When something like this happens, you need understanding to help you get through the hard times and move to the greater parts of life. To see the real joy in understanding is to forget about yourself for a minute, and put your feet in someone else’s shoes, this I believe.