Traci - Ft Worth, Texas

I believe in my right to be domestic. I am not sure who came up with the idea that every woman needs to run away from the home and become professional, but I believe in the simplicity of the domestic mom.

I think education is a beautiful institution. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to school and learn anything because, in today’s society, everything is just a point-and-click away. You can be anything in the world, but why is the idea of being a stay-at-home mom so terribly shunned?

I was an exceptional student all throughout school. I was Senior Class President in high school and was ranked fourth for my GPA. I attended Rice University, one of the most prestigious schools in the region, with a scholarship. To everyone around me, I was destined to be the greatest neonatal physician to hit the world by storm. Then, one day, I broke down in tears and told my mom the truth: I did not want to go to Rice anymore. I did not want to spend my entire life in medical school to become a physician, only to graduate with debt and no life. I was coming home, going to a new school, and becoming a nurse anesthetist.

She was hurt. I could tell, but I explained my reasoning for the change. I wanted to have a family, a large one. There was just no way I wanted to spend the majority of my youthful, fertile life in residency to gain a high salary with no family. I wanted a career that was flexible, but still paid well. I chose nursing and that was the end of the discussion. Or, so I thought.

Once news spread that I was leaving Rice, everyone was dying to know the full story behind my decision. I plainly told them all, “I just want to have a family. I would give up this whole college and career life for a chance to be a stay-at-home mom.” I have never seen so many shocked faces. “But, you were so good in school.” Or, “Not everyone can get into Rice.” I did not care about those things. All that mattered was my happiness.

I believe many people have lost sight of the pursuit of happiness and are focusing on the pursuit of wealth. There is an immeasurable amount of wealth in spending countless moments with your children or making sure dinner is ready at the right time. The satisfaction gained from that cannot be deposited into a bank. I believe in the power of a woman who can manage all of the daily routines of a home and still enjoy life.

I believe that is me.