Samuel - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: work

Throughout my entire life I have strived to be perfect: To have the best grades, to be the best athlete, to have many friends, to be strong in the church, to eat the right foods, to play an instrument, to listen to the right music, even to wear the right clothes. But the older I become, the more I realize that this goal of perfection rests on a very flawed theory. Because we are human, we make mistakes, so we cannot be perfect. However, through the mistakes we get closer to perfection. I make mistakes every day of my life. Some mistakes are minor, but there are also the major ones that have lasting effects that make us change, helping us inch toward perfection. I received a D in my sophomore year in an accelerated algebra class for one quarter. My parents told me this would hinder me from getting into a good college. I felt like my life was coming to an end. But I worked hard, pulled the grade up for the semester, and I have not received nearly that low of a grade for the semester since then. My mistake taught me to study and work harder.

Another big mistake I made was not listening to my wise parents. I was once cleaning out my garage with my mother. The smooth finish of the floor was covered with a layer of water. I was running and sliding across the floor like an ice skater, and my mom asked me to stop because she did not want me to fall. I, of course, knowing everything, went right ahead skating. No less than 30 seconds after my mom asked me to stop, I fell back, hit the concrete, and split open my head. I had to get five staples in my scalp to put it back together. From this mistake that came with physical pain I learned to try my very best to listen to my parents when they advise me.

Perhaps the biggest mistake I ever made has been not spending enough time with my older sister, Claire. She was severely handicapped, and was very limited in what she could do. I loved her, but when she was here I feel like I did not spend enough time with her. There was so much more that I could have done for her, and so much more time I had that I could have spent with her instead of wasting it on pointless things. Now she is gone, after being in my life for 16 years, and I cannot ever have that time back. I now spend time with my family whenever I can, and spend every moment with them as if it were the last.

I have come to a conclusion on this matter of perfection. I have made many mistakes, and I am not perfect. I am far from it. Perfection is something that cannot be achieved because we are humans; however, because we cannot be perfect in life we learn to be successful in life. To learn from the mistakes that I make is the key to striving for perfection. From our mistakes we learn to move on, improve, and to not make the same mistake twice. In this, I believe with all of my heart and soul.