Christi - Houston, Texas

I Need More of You

I decided a very important lesson today. I need God in my life to be truly happy and successful. I believe that life is extremely difficult without the presence of God.

The very slightest change in thought or habit makes a big difference in my life, over time. Situations and relationships can slowly become eroded and progressively worse with each wrong decision. I believe that the more I rely and trust in God, and include him in my plans, the easier things become. If I ask Him to help me, and carry me through difficult times, he helps me enormously. Sure, tough times are still difficult to get through, but with His help, it is not as bad, and I accomplish more. Then, if I forget to include him in my day, additional things go wrong. I might loose my credit card, or fail an exam at school on the days that I try to do everything on my own.

I try to follow his commandments and in return, he protects me. God helps me with everything from friends and family, to school and work. Most of my closest friends have been found through God in things such as church organizations and youth groups. Even my Christian sorority here at the University I attend has been a place where God has helped me find good friends.

A few months ago, my life ran perfectly smooth, and now it feels like I am struggling through everything. The difference might be because I used to give more thanks to God, and I used to ask him for help when things became tough. I still do those same things, but I have tried doing things more on my own. I would have nothing, if it weren’t for God, and by God’s grace, I have been given many gifts and talents that I know I cannot claim for myself.

The balance of spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental aspects of life is hard to maintain during college. Each day, a new task or problem comes up that needs to be dealt with. Over time, the spiritual side of life may be overtaken by a physical or emotional crisis that needs immediate attention. Then, without the strong spiritual side of my life working to hold everything together, everything slowly falls apart.

The things I believe are certainly different for everyone, but through my personal experiences of the past, I believe that everything must be done with, and through God. It may be weird to think of God like motor oil or butter, but he really is. He smoothes everything out and makes it function more efficiently. He even blesses me with things that I do not deserve, because he is so good. I cannot praise Him enough for everything he does for me. I think a song by Shane and Shane says it best when they sing, “My happiness is found in less of me and more of You, Jesus.” I think that this statement is so true, because the more God is in me, the happier, and more successful I am.