Carlton - Benbrook, Texas

I believe that God uses all things for His intent. People question why God allows evil, or why bad things happen to good people. In regards to good and evil in the world, it is my opinion that the sovereign God’s plans give purpose, which presents the moral grounding. While it is common to conceive God as an infinitely loving being, it is essential to realize that He must also be an infinitely just one too.

February 19, 2006 was a Sunday like any other for the most part. The only difference was the icy conditions created by the previous day’s sleet storm. Since the weather was not ideal for driving to church, I had decided stay in to be safe. Around 11:30am, my dad, an elder in our church at the time, received a call. Shortly afterwards, my parents called me into their room, at which point they informed me that my youth minister, David Phillips, had died in car wreck early that morning. He was headed to church to speak in an earlier service, when his car hit a patch of ice, skidded off the road, rolled over, and crushed him. I don’t really recall much of that afternoon besides a cycle of crying and shocked silence. I keep thinking,” how would Dave be dead?” It really didn’t sink in until that evening, when a mourning service for the high school group was held. I remember hugging and praying with friends; remembering funny stories of Dave, laughing, then breaking into crying again. During the following days leading up to his funeral all that was on my mind was how God could let this happen. Dave had lead so many people to growing in their faith, and for God to end his life at barely past 40 years old with a marriage for not even 2 years, why? Surely God could have used him for more.

Recently, the 1 year anniversary pasted of his death. On that February 19th I was flooded with memories of Dave. I looked back on what he had given to the ministry and to me. His entire soul was committed to the church, driven by his passion for the Gospel. I recalled on how he had stressed the sovereignty of God within all things.

God had been sovereign on that day he died, as every day before and after that. The question is not in regards to why God allows such bad things to happen to us, but how he has used that to show His sovereignty. If God is truly omnipotent, then from what moral position do we even have the right to question His authority? A god that is anything short of all powerful, ever present, and all knowing is not sovereign, and therefore is not the Living God.

It took me time to reach peace with this, but I know that Dave’s death was in God’s plans, and that it was used to display His sovereignty.