Heather - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe in the power of a sorority. With recent events in the news, sororities receive a bad rap in society. However, my experience completely strays from the negative stereotypes of sororities.

I came to college worried about whether or not I would fit in and make friends. Before college, I never had to worry about that. Being born a triplet gave me people to hang out with. If I did not make my own friends, I could still hang out with my sibling’s clichés.

Separating from them in college forced me to find out how to make friends and live as an individual. I decided that sorority life provided the easiest transition to being on my own. I was right.

My sorority taught me how to be the best women that I could be. We strive to be well balanced women by strengthening our own character and personality, watching our attitudes toward our fellow-beings, recognizing the value of high educational standards, and developing faith and loyalty. My life is shaped by these four life goals.

Sororities also help develop a stronger sense of who you are. I have learned that I am a strong motivational speaker by leading a workshop at one of our chapter retreats. My leadership skills shine in the different roles I fill in the chapter. I have also learned that I am a compassionate person. When one of my sisters has a rough day, I am there to pick her up.

I know that my sisters have shoulders that I can lean on if need be. One of the girls that lives in the sorority house with me is an English major. She proofreads my papers for me when I ask her. Another one of my sisters works well with hair and make-up; I utilize her talents when going somewhere special. Each member of a sorority has a special talent to offer her chapter. The unique thing about sororities is that even though each chapter member has her individual strength and is unique in her own way, when the chapter comes together and combines all of their strengths, it works miracles in the world and each chapter member.

With the alumnae and collegiate support a sorority maintains, it has the ability to change the world. My chapter raised about $10,000 this year for the Ronald McDonald House. I have also participated in other philanthropic efforts in the community. Recently, I helped build a house with some of my sisters. We also walk dogs at a local humane society periodically on Fridays.

Sororities may be known for crazy partying and strict physical standards, but I have found that they mean so much more. My sorority has given me a chance to strive as an individual with a group of girls who accept me for exactly who I am. I never have to pretend to be something I am not. The power of a sorority has a significant effect not only on its members but on the community and world, as well.