Aline - sunrise, Florida

Everything is possible

A person with diligent perseverance and determination can achieve any goal, because that attitude will encourage her to deal with any obstacle that may prevent her from reaching that goal. To achieve that goal, the person’s mind has to be deeply set in what she wants to accomplish. There is no “what if” or plan B.I believe that everything is possible; belief and action can take you anywhere.

I have always been positive about accomplishing my goals. Specially in sports. Being very competitive has made me believe that if someone is capable of succeeding in something, than I can do it too. In high school, I dreamed about competing in a college level, I was not the best athlete and it would be hard to get a spot in such a competitive level. The sport that I was best at was pole-vaulting. On my senior year, I decided to be very dedicated and committed to it.

After school and during the weekends my coach and I had to travel to other schools that had a pole-vault pit, my school was under construction and therefore there was not any location to place a pole-vault pit and create a running lane. My coach and I had tried many different types of practices, such as recording me jump and watching in slow motion and also having me swing upside down on a cord.

We decided to take my training to the next level. We did whatever we could think of that could make me improve. For a better understanding of the swing motion that I had to do, we traveled for an hour to a trapeze team, where I had a three-hour session learning their skills. Also to take away the nervousness and tension that I would have during a competition, we attended a hypnotist doctor, which would help me concentrate and not worry about my surroundings.

By the end of the track and field season, I had a great improvement. Comparing my best heights with my opponents’ heights, I would be able to win districts, first or second place in regionals and get a medal in the states championship. Since there is always an obstacle that will try to prevent your goal to be accomplished, a big obstacle appeared two days before the districts championship. While practicing, I sprained my ankle. A torn ligament disabled me to compete. These championships were the reason why I trained extremely hard; it was the chance to have scouts to be interested in me. I was very disappointed, but I still had hopes.

My coach being always committed to me contacted some coaches that might need pole-vaulters. Even not being able to see my skills, the FIU track and field coach became interested in me. I was extremely happy that I could continue having pole-vault as part of my life, because I had developed a passion for it. High school was over and I had already received a list of workouts for the summer to get in shape. A great goal was accomplished, another one was being created; to not just be part of the team but to do great in it. I had my mindset to be a pole-vaulter in college, I went through numerous ways to accomplish it, and I had many obstacles on my way, but without giving up, I succeeded my goal. Everything is possible, so go after it!