Francisco - Weston, Florida

I believe America is a continent not a country.

When I came to US I felt a Cultural shock for the fact of either “semantic” or “saving words” reasons all the issues relates to USA are call “American”. In the news, TV and in general the people talk about “What ever” plus American, As African-American, Asian-American, Mexican- American. The shock has it origins because when I learn in my school about geography and history I learned very well that the American Continent not only that Amerigo Vespucci was the explorer for whom America Got Named. It is also the big peace of land from the Patagonia to the Bering Strait.

I believe that the entire American continent had been represented in one way or another land of opportunity and freedom for the rest of the world.

If any one looks in detail the history facts of our countries Country will many common facts that created bond rather than differences, the same kind of independence war again European colonies, Hundreds of people no only getting in to the new York port, also we will find out that the same event happened in Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil, Chile and other countries, looking for the same necessities of freedom and opportunity.

My step father, Lawrence Hays, came from US to Venezuela in 1982 for one year, he meet my mother when I was 13 years old, and for almost 15 years he call Venezuela his home, the land of freedom. I remember he was very proud of the Unites States, but when some body asks him why he did not return to USA he responded that his home was in Venezuela. He loved his country but for other many reasons he found the happiness out of his country. The word freedom has a different meaning depending of what we miss more. In that time he needed a family and he founded it, he needed a place where to celebrate Christmas with all his family and friends and he did it many times. I had learned so many things from him that I am not have problem to call him father.

Now that I came to United State in part looking for the freedom that we are losing in little bits. I need to find answers to explain to my children why one part of the hemisphere there is a intention to build a fence even bigger than the wall that china build in the Middle Age to avoid the entrance of the barbarian, and in another part of the hemisphere a president speaking about two Americas so many different that must to be separated each other in any possible way.

I believe America is a continent not a country, I believe that beside the differences of language and culture we share the same necessity for the democracy, the freedom and justice.