Stephanie - Georgetown, Kentucky

Divorce in America is becoming an all-around issue. We are seeing families being destroyed, children’s lives being shattered, and communities torn between two people. I believe that divorce is one of the most influential things that children look upon. When one child grows up with the understanding that divorce is alright, they will follow in their parent’s footsteps and do exactly that.

In the last couple of years the divorce rate reached almost 40 percent. To think, that’s almost half of the people in the United States getting divorced. Being a daughter of divorced parents, I understand the struggles of financially and emotionally that both parents must overcome.

To a child, divorce can be devastating and troublesome. Children are deeply affected everyday by the choices that their parents make. It is apparent in schools that students with separated parents are having more trouble than the children whose parents were still together. Children lose a part of them when their family is torn apart. Some families that have more than one child can get even worse as parents will separate them. No one can understand the questions, the worrying, and the unhappiness that a child feels when their family is no longer how they wanted it. Still, as the years progress on, we are seeing the divorce rate skyrocket and no one doing anything about it. We are allowing families to fall apart and letting children grow up with hatred and unhappiness.

“I love you,” is supposed to be the sacred saying between two people who love no other. Now-a-days, this word is being used constantly and without meaning. To pledge to someone with all of your heart, you’re giving them everything they could want and need. So these bonds that people are making together should be held tight. To me, people who walk around saying this word without meaning are showing a negative influence on the rest of the world. It is showing children that marriage doesn’t mean anything because you can easily just leave that person without worry. Yet, in truth, divorce is what is causing problems within communities, schools, and homes.

As a small community attaches to everyone within their grounds they learn to trust everyone. You have children that grow up together all of their lives. Destroying just one of these bonds can devastate a whole community as they will feel torn between the two people they consider close friends. Even in a larger community this will affect people who are close to each person. I trust the people around me. Some people are still growing up thinking divorce is not okay. It is against their religion; I think that is good. They are learning to stick with ideas that were being taught in the early 1900’s. Some professions even look down on women who have gotten a divorce. I believe that is degrading to women but it can give people more of incentive to stick with someone that makes their hearts melt.

I believe that divorce is an issue that needs to be discussed within many places. Children need to be taught that it’s not okay to divorce. We need to be aware of the problems that are causing issues within communities and homes.