Emma - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: community

I believe in a little bit of apathy. I know I know, apathy is what gets us global warming,

low voter turnout rates and an abortion of human rights… Whatever. I believe in apathy, and I really don’t care what you think.

I believe in staring at the wall. All the little things, all the nit-picky details and all the

formalities; who cares. In the greater scheme of things, what shoes I wore today, what grade I got in my math class, which boy I dated- am I really going to remember? Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States; over-concerned-itis is the second. My immortality lies in my apathy. Some days, I am perfectly okay with disconcerning myself with the small things, and working on my mental health- staring at the wall or putting the car on cruise control and driving someplace, nowhere. And when my heart is strong and my hair intact at the

ripe old age of 65… well, I probably still wont care too much, but I think it’s safe to say it will be a small personal victory in the name of indifference.

I believe in the sixties counter culture. How is a generation, so apathetic to previous

societal norms, so apathetic to sobriety, yet so un-apathetic to their political stances, not to be

admired. They didn’t sweat the little things, so they were able to take that energy, whether drug induced or not, and channel it into one of the most reformative times America has ever

experienced. Had they not been indifferent to the law of both their parents and the government, generation x-tra indifferent, or the baby boomers, wouldn’t have carried America through the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam War, and the embarrassment that was men in short shorts. The barriers they broke down through their realization of what was truly important makes them a

generation to be modeled.

I believe in us. I believe in hope for our generation. The time is right for us to become alittle indifferent, to blatantly ignore censorship, and to expose our radical side. I believe that we are in a time that calls, yet again for a change in the tide. The immigration issue, the Iraqi war, the Nick and Jessica break-up… something needs to be done. I believe in this generation, because so far, we have proven our ability to apathize. If the immigration issue is becoming about rights, where is our King? If the Iraqi situation is being called the modern Vietnam, where are our protestors? If global warming is so imminent, where are those hot pants? I am not criticizing our generation; a huge weight is being piled upon our shoulders, and I think it’s been good to try to be apathetic to that. But the weight is just too much to ignore now. So become indifferent to the little things; your math grade, your butt in those jeans, the who’s who on MTV, and start being different- a different generation.