Elana - Johnson City, New York

Lucky There’s a Family Guy

Some people look to religion for life lessons. Some look to their parents. I’m different. I watch Family Guy.

Family Guy is about your average American family, the Griffins. There’s the alcoholic father, Peter, who is a self- proclaimed “fat moron” who works in a toy factory. Louis is the housewife who raises three children while dealing with Peter’s stupidity and her wealthy parent’s disapproval. There are the kids, Meg, Chris, and Stewie. Meg is the awkward 15- year old who just wants to fit in. Chris is the 13-year old who can’t talk to girls and has his father’s intelligence. Stewie is the 1-year old who wants two things out of life, world domination and to kill his mother. Then there’s Brian the family dog. He’s the only one that listens to Stewie and has inherited his owner’s alcoholism. By the way, he can talk.

Many adults think Family Guy is a disturbing cartoon that corrupts the morals of our children. At least that’s what my mom said. If you put aside the foul language, sufficient amount of alcoholic characters, and perverted content, you will find that it teaches valuable life lessons in an enjoyable genre.

In every episode you learn something. In the episode “Death Lives” Peter is struck by lightning and has a near death experience. In order to save his marriage he must have a revelation. Eventually he realizes the most important thing in the world is his wife and he should pay more attention to her.

In “Let’s All Go to the Hop” Peter realizes that he would do anything to make his daughter happy. In “When You Wish Upon A Weinstein” Peter realizes that a person’s religion doesn’t mean their smart or not. In “Love Thy Trophy” the entire neighborhood comes together to help get Stewie out of foster care because they realize their friendship is more important than a trophy. The list goes on and on, but I only have three minutes.

Family Guy is funny, but at the same time educational. Not like the History Channel. Everything I’ll ever need to know I can learn from watching Family Guy. This I Believe.