Kath - Frederick, Maryland
Themes: tolerance

I believe in the Berlin Brats family- a special family made up of the children of military personnel stationed in West Berlin, East Germany when there was a West Berlin. This is indeed a family- though the family tree would look most odd. Call us one of those “blended” families that are so prevalent these days.

My Berlin Brats family understands my desire to move to a new home every 2-3 years. They can relate when I say that the longest time that I have ever lived anywhere is 5 years. It isn’t shocking to them to know I have attended 11 schools around the world. That number might even be considered small when compared to others. We share jokes about the difficulty in answering the question “where do you come from?” because someone can’t figure out your accent (a unique combination of many accents due to the variety of places that you have lived).

I belong to a very special family- one that has a “my family” space on the internet. I see family photos of individual’s whom I have never met, and cheer along others as they share their good news. This is a very special family indeed and it is a strong family- which was proven when an accident recently occurred to a family member.

Cate, who has run the website and made a connection with so many in the Berlin Brat family, had a mountain biking accident one week ago. This accident was not minor and included varied medical intervention to assist in her recovery. Recovering from such trauma will be hard work but if the power of prayer and support can heal anything then Cate will recover with flying colors.

As soon as the accident occurred- it was posted on the family website. You couldn’t imagine such a rush of support with constant email updates and words of comfort and faith. While Cate certainly couldn’t have been aware of all of these activities while being “log rolled” in ICU- there is no doubt that she couldn’t help but feel the love.

Individuals throughout the Berlin Brat family bombarded the ICU nurses in an attempt to get information on our dear family member. One of the nurses stated that Cate must be very popular, which the answer was- of course, she is “Cate the Great”. We anxiously await her to be moved to a normal room so we can send cards, flowers, good wishes, jokes, and maybe an excellent Berliner Weisse or two.

So does it matter that many of us have never met? I don’t believe so because we are a part of a big Berlin Brats family with shared history. We are lucky to have so many loved ones in our family that is spread throughout the world. Brugs and Brayers to Cate- may you recover from your accident quickly and know that your Brats family supports you every step of the way.