Hailey - Calgary, Canada

Ignorance is not an excuse:

I believe that ignorance is not an excuse. I am so frustrated with discrimination against Wicca because of misperceptions on what Wicca is. Ignorance is often the reason behind many types of discrimination. In today’s world it is not a good enough rationalization for someone to not know enough about the subject, because there is access to so much information on the internet, in books and countless other recourses. Wicca has been often perceived by others as satanic, and Wiccans as devil worshipers. I have been called “Of the devil”, and many times been asked if I worship the devil. People have been afraid that I will cast spells on them, and feared that I have done evil rituals involving the sacrifice of living things. I have been told that Wicca is a cult and I am going to kill someone one day because of it. People have also voiced the wrongful belief that the pentagram is the sign of devil worship. Firstly I do not believe in the devil, I do not sacrifice living things, I am against spell casting on others free will, and I do not belong to a cult. People assume things because they don’t know the truth about Wicca. If someone has no information to back up their beliefs, how can they possibly say such hateful things? I believe it is because they fear what they do not understand. The problem is this: If people don’t understand something, why don’t they find out about it? It’s not as if they don’t have the resources to learn about it. I will tell you this, Wicca is a peaceful religion, that promotes celebration of nature, and its cycles, I believe in tolerance, and in the beauty of the earth. There are extremists to every religion, so it is true that some Wicca may practice black magic, but there are extremist Christians and Muslims and Satanists and Hindus, I don’t feel that every one of those religions is defective, or wrong, simply that each religion including Wicca, has some people who give misperceptions about what the religion is about. I believe that ignorance is not an excuse, so I try to forget excuses, next time I, want to assume, I will learn about it. By all means, I believe forming an opinion, but I think that people should do it with knowledge about the topic. I do believe in freedom of opinion. I also believe education is the answer.