Tara - Mesa, Arizona

It was the end of a long week at a musical theatre workshop at BYU. Everyone was preparing for the show that night, and everyone was nervous. At the show I would be performing a number with my cousin Rusty. We had practiced our singing and choreography so much that we could probably sing the song backwards. So of course there would be no reason to be nervous. Wrong. With an auditorium filled with family, friends, and strangers there were plenty of reasons to be scared. And so off stage I anxiously waited for the mike to be handed to me. I couldn’t stand still, my hands couldn’t hold still, and the butterflies in my stomach were definitely not going to sit still.

My performance that night didn’t go perfect, but what would be the fun in that? I did my best, and I owe it all to those annoying butterflies.

Where would anyone be with out butterflies? What would we feel when we walked passed our secret crush in the hall? Or when we get ready to take a final in English? When Mrs. Snyder passes out an essay test that I didn’t even read the book for, that’s fear, but when the book was read and studied, those little butterflies start working. Everyone would inevitably end up being self-centered, overconfident, losers if butterflies didn’t bless us with their visits. What if I wasn’t nervous before I walked on that stage? Would I have remembered that I was supposed to look up at the beginning, or smile, or even breath? I’ll tell you what would have happened, I would have been thinking about the hot guy in the front row, I would have stood still the whole time, and truthfully I would have looked like a fool.

I love butterflies!

Many people misunderstand these loving little creatures. Butterflies bring concentration, energy, and hope. Having butterflies is a lot different than just being scared, it’s shows how prepared we are.

And so, I believe in butterflies. Don’t be scared be prepared. Forget fear and invite those lovely little butterflies into your performance.