Nicholas - Franklin, Indiana
Themes: courage

This I believe

I believe in the first step. I didn’t wake up today instantly a husband, a father, or a college student. Everything I am today started with a first step. Likewise, all the things I secretly dream of becoming; an author, an actor, a musician, a politician, will forever be dreams unless I take that first step. Everything has to start somewhere.

I believe the first step is hard. Ever try to push a stalled car? It is much easier to keep one rolling than to get it moving. First steps are the same way. Momentum can only carry you once it builds.

I believe the first step is scary. Fears of failure, fear of rejection, fear of the unknown are always things that I combat when taking a first step. Starting a new job was frightening because I thought I would do poorly and be fired. Asking out the woman I would eventually marry was scary because I thought she would say “No.” Starting college at 25-years-old was worrisome because I had no one around to model after. Fear is powerful, and often prevents first steps.

I believe the first step is small. I look at where I am and often cannot identify exactly where it started. As I look at my son, I wonder what the first step was. Was it his birth, at conception, my wedding day, or something even earlier? The recognizable big steps only happen after the seemingly inconsequential small steps have occurred.

I believe first steps are only the first step, not a guarantee for success. While the first step is necessary, there are always obstacles. Bumps and bruises from the occasional fall, delays from detours and wrong turns, or even dead ends resulting in the end of a journey. A destination can be reached by more than one path, and sometimes many first steps are required until you get going in the right direction.

I believe first steps are continuous. Once a step has been taken, it is in the past. The important thing is to then take the next step, which effectively becomes another first step. You have to keep moving.

Everything that ever was, and everything that will ever be has to start somewhere. That is why I believe in the first step.