Aleah - Issaquah, Washington

Humor Me

As the proverb says, “Laughter is the best medicine”. What does that really mean though? Comedians curing cancer? Or is humor the only thing needed to make your day?

I think it’s reasonable to say that I love to laugh. The kind of humor I am talking about though is not laugh-out-loud funny. It’s the kind that after a long day makes you smile. Little humorous incidences always strike me when I need them most.

One such incidence occurred after a long and unsuccessful day of volleyball. After “stepping it up” (as my coach would call it) our efforts were futile. We left the volleyball tournament upset and discouraged. The parents of the team members decided that in order to cheer us up (and hopefully avoid any unsettled crankiness) they would take us to McDonalds for some food. Although some of us were a little happier, deep fried chicken and a day old burgers were not going to make us feel any better about our playing.

We stepped into McDonalds like any other large group of girls, raucous and talkative. All of us still had on our volleyball regalia. This included personalized sweats with a volleyball logo, jerseys with our logo, and the chatter of how we played. Let me just say that it was pretty evident that we were a volleyball team.

After ordering my food I proceeded to the dippin’ dots counter around the side. I waited a couple minutes by the side, but soon a tall and lanky McDonald’s employee ambled up to the counter. With a scoop in hand, he hastily filled my container with ice cream. After handing me the container, I saw that he gave my outfit a once-over. He looked at me cheerfully and said “Let me guess, a volleyball team!” I stared at him in disbelief and looked over his face for even the slightest hint of sarcasm. All I saw was a happy McDonald’s employee.

While walking back to my table I grinned. Not that I thought the man was stupid, but at his sincere attempt to be clever. This one remark ended up brightening my day, if only just a bit.

That day I realized that no matter how bad things are, fate gives you a chance to make them a little bit better. I do understand that just some days it seems like the whole world is out to get you, that nothing can go right, and it’s raining just to spite you. Sometimes the only reason people’s days get worse, is because they are so caught up in their own problems. If they had just stopped and enjoyed the moment they were in, they might just see their own McDonalds employee, a little opportunity to brighten your day.