Roxanne - Sterling Heights, Michigan

Imagine a new America- an America that was truly united with no state police boundaries. Here, there are no secrets. The federal government can track its citizens’ every action including what they purchase, where they travel and where they order their pizza from every Friday night. Security is not to be doubted as long as everyone has their national ID card tucked safely away in their pocket. Planes don’t crash into buildings here and terrorists don’t exist because they wouldn’t dare in such a society. I disagree with this battle cry of the delusional – the belief that the Real ID Act would further peace and security in society. In fact, I believe it wipes out our god-given rights and harms the individuals that comprise our society.

It’s been two years since the Real ID Act became law, an act where every person’s driver’s license will become tantamount to a national identity card. When it becomes fully effective in 2008, anyone who wants to have a bank account, travel by plane, bus or train, or enter any federal building (including a post office) will have one.

The law’s creators claim it is optional to apply for an ID but without one, I believe it will be impossible to live life. .

IDs will contain all of the owner’s personal information along with fingerprints, eye or facial scans. Good ol’ Homeland Security is even providing the RIFD (Radio-Frequency Identification ) tags for the cards, a tracking chip smaller than a grain of sand, which will be embedded into a citizen’s ID.

The people behind this are simply genius. Who on senate could vote no when Real ID was attached to an emergency military spending bill in Iraq, a must-have bill for military men risking their lives in a never-ending war? Obviously, with the pain from the 9/11 attacks still fresh, terrorism has become the excuse for every new power grab attempted by the government. The proposition was rammed through Congress and President Bush signed it the next day.

People who want to harm the U.S. will not be stopped by ID cards. Surely terrorists bent on murder will be finalizing their attack when they exclaim to their buddies, “Dude, I totally forgot to obey the U-S-of-A law and apply for my National ID card!” and will set off to dutifully obtain their IDs.

Even if people ignorantly sacrifice God-given freedoms to feel more protected, ID cards will still not be helpful but in the long-run bothersome and a distraction. They will lead towards discrimination. Authority is given to the police, allowing them to suspect anyone of being a terrorist.

Finally, what many fail to see is that the final and biggest blow of a National ID is a psychological one. America came into existence because its leaders envisioned a government that was for the people. I strongly believe that as laws such as this begin to form, it begins to seem more that the people are there for the government – and it eerily becomes easier for people to subconsciously start seeing themselves as subjects of the state, rather than its free citizens.