Taryn - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

I believe in following my dream to become a writer:

I believe that throughout your life you are faced with many twist and turns .When I was younger my father used to write short stories. Those stories were mainly science fiction. I guess you could say I was influenced by my father to become a writer.We didn’t have a computer when I was younger, so I used my dads typewriter. I stoped awhile for some reason or another.I started keeping journals to let my feelings out. At the age of eleven my parents had gotten a seperation. Kepping a journal really helped me to release that pent up aggression.As the years went by I still wrote in my journals.I wrote about everything. I wrote about what was going on in my life,I even wrote about who was in my life.

I believe that as a writer you have certain aspects of the writing world to think about. The first would be what to write about. There is always a possibility of doing an autobiography. Autobiographies aren’t always that interesting to read about. The second is what age group do you focus your work towards. If you choose to write a romance would you focus it towards teenagers. Third would be how do you start to write a story when you have never had any experience. School has tought me how to write essays and such, but to write a story about a subject of your chose how would you deal with that.

Although I am only eighteen I believe that you can experience things such as love. I have started many projects,but unfortunatley I’ve never followed through with them. For me I think that poetry played a very important role in my decision to become a writer.One of my favorite Poets has to be Edgar Allen Poe. I believe it was in the eigth grad when I fell in love with The Raven. I’m not really sure why I was so interested into his work. His work is dark and depressed. I can’t say that my life has been as tragic as his. I haven’t lost anybody close to me like he did. During my life I have been hurt. Mainly with the feeling of love. At a young age I was unsure if I was ready to feel such a thing as love.I think that I ‘ve tried to focus on subjects like that for my writing. I would focus more on my interpratation of love and life.

I believe that you are faced with different opsticles in your life for a reason. The first is to learn from them. If we didn’t make any mistakes in our life where would that get us? The second is whnen we do make these mistakes we should make with them what we want with them. I think we have the power to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive experience. For many years I have been told that I was a negative person. It wasn’t to long before that I started to believe that I was negative. I actually became that negative person that I really did not want to be that person, it was a horrible feeling. I resorted to putting those feelings onto paper instead of harboring them inside of me. I’ve learned that if you carry so much baggage like that and then releae it all at once, it will not do you any good.

I belelieve that if I continue down this path towards becoming a writer I will achieve my goal. If there is anything that i could say to anybody who has their mind set on something but they have been told that they were not good enoug or wouldn’t amont to anything; just go for it. I believe that the only way to get through to those people who don’t believe in you is keep pursuing your dream. You can prove them wrong if you just believe in yourself. Because at the end of the day you are the only person who can make your dreams come true. This is why I believe in following my dreams of becoming a writer.