Sarah - Cochrane, Canada

I believe that there is discrimination against everyone no matter their color, race, religion, or ethnicity. Some people individually maybe be more discriminated against but everyone in their own way has been affected by this. Just because someone is white doesn’t mean that they are not looked down upon, maybe due to income, or how one dresses. Even though there is a lot of discrimination against afro- Americans, Asians, Muslim, etc. for the most part everyone is categorized as being different. It maybe due to how we are raised but from what I remember from being a little kid that your parents, teachers and mentors always taught you to be accepting no matter what. Now I feel media has really affected this, you watch shows now where there has to be the “token Black person” or there told in order for them to air the show there has to be some sort of multicultural aspect. This is not right, there shouldn’t have to be laws saying that, this should come naturally. There shouldn’t be any difference between people due to color, race or religion. Everyone was created equal some just happened to be different skin tones. If you really think about why people were created different it really came down to in the past, when people who lived close to the equator had darker skin and people who lived closer to the poles had lighter skin. It really only has to do with ones positioning on the earth. It has nothing to do with how you speak, act or behave.

In my time, I have viewed many acts of discrimination against different races. Every year my family would take a trip to some place hot. Usually it would be to Mexico or somewhere down south. Once we would get to the hotel you could tell that the guests were looking down upon the workers, and looking at them in disgust. Many people would treat them as human beings but you would see the odd person making rude comments about their color, and about how they practice their religious beliefs. This really is a huge eye opener to a lot of people; I know it was defiantly for me. I had never really seen discrimination against someone just due to how they lived their life. That experience, even though it wasn’t the only act of discrimination I have ever witnessed now, really made me think that judging people on where they work, how they dress, where they live and so on, isn’t how we should be viewing society and individuals. How we approach and view people should really only be based on if there a good person, and how they treat others around you.