Delen - Sammamish, Washington

One day when I was watching TV a game tester just got home from his job playing video games and started playing video games again at home. His wife asked him, “Haven’t you played enough video games today?” The game tester replied, “That was work, this is actually fun.” That day I realized that almost everybody held the same belief I did. I believe that whenever you are forced to do something, you won’t enjoy it.

In my life having Asian parents has put me through many hardships. I have been forced to do all sorts of things that my parents have said will “help” me in the future. (I still don’t get how learning to play piano has helped me in math.) Every time I complain about it they always tell me that I will thank them later, but right now I think all of the things I’m put through suck! I mean seriously, why can’t I be like everyone else and have a life on the weekend instead of Chinese, math, SAT, and violin classes. I hate the idea of having extra school on the weekends because now I don’t have any free time.

I have recently discovered that having these classes has been fun for some people though. I was “SHOCKED” to find out that other Asian kids in the school have been through the same routine, but I was really surprised to find out that they actually enjoyed it. (¡No me Digas!) So I asked one of my friends who enjoyed piano lessons, “How can you enjoy something so horrible?” She replied, “I think its pretty fun.” Then I asked, “Don’t your parents force you to take the lessons?” She then replied, “No, I picked to do it.” Then it hit me, the reason for my attitude toward these lessons and classes has been the fact that I had been forced into it.

To test my hypothesis I continued to ask more of my friends how they felt about taking extra classes and lessons. In the end I discovered that everyone who was forced into something didn’t enjoy it, while everyone who was given an option thought they were fun. After finding all of this evidence to back up my hypothesis I tried to remember a situation when this wasn’t true. I thought for an eternity until I remembered that I actually picked to play violin (Which I hate now). Then I thought that I had actually found something to disprove my theory, when suddenly I had a flash back.

In 5th grade we were allowed to skip a portion of school everyday if we were in orchestra. Taking this into account I decided to pick something small and cheap so I ended up with a violin. I was really good at it compared to the other kids and I even recall enjoying it. I continued to enjoy playing the violin all the way through 8th grade because from 6th grade to now my parents said I could replace piano with violin. Then once I entered high school, it all changed.

My parents said, “Now that you’re in high school your grade actually depends on your playing ability and let’s admit it, you suck. Because of that we have decided to get you lessons every Sunday for half an hour.” From then on I began to hate the violin. I despised it for ruining my life and I started questioning how I used to enjoy this wooden piece of crap. Since then I also began to drop in skill level compared to my class mates because I had lost all interest.