Dawn - Plano, Texas
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love, but it may not be the exact same power most people would think of.

Love has taken me a long way. I remember when I used to have a huge crush on a boy when I was in seventh grade. He was a year older than me, an eighth grader, and in our middle school, there were a lot of really nice girls in his grade. So, because of that, I had the idea that if I set myself out to be someone utterly amazing, I would be able to attract his attention. So, exactly what did I do? I decided to skip a grade in math, not only to appear smarter, but to have the chance of being in another one of his classes (we both had Orchestra together, and played the violin). I didn’t end up in his class though, and he didn’t end up noticing me more than before, but on the bright side, I had become accelerated in math. And, now I know how much being ahead in math has benefited me thus far.

In eighth grade, I almost forgot about him, until he won a concerto competition organized by the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra. I went to his concert, and then I decided that I wanted to try out for GDYO. I practiced very hard to make the top orchestra, the one that he was in. Unfortunately, I made the second orchestra. Fortunately, though, my violin teacher noticed that I had potential for the violin, and my teacher decided that it would be a good idea for me to try out for the All-State orchestra.

The next year, ninth grade, I entered high school and was once again in the same school as the boy that I had liked. And even though I tried my best to just forget about him, I fell for him again. And once again, I wanted to get his attention by being a “super-girl.” So, I told myself to get as good of grades as possible, I ran for National Junior Honor Society officer, I practiced for my upcoming violin try-outs for the All-Region and All-State orchestras, and I always tried to see if he noticed me.

I got A-pluses in all but one of my classes, I became President of NJHS, and I could play all my audition excerpts well. These were all things that even my mother noticed immediately, but he never seemed to notice.

Two weeks before our orchestra try-outs, the boy I had liked ever since middle school, told me that he liked me. And after that exchange of “confessions”, our relationship began developing, but that’s not the aspect of love that I’m talking about.

I believe that love has the power to make a person do their very best to attain higher levels of achievement and to become more than he or she had ever thought was possible.

This I believe.